Strategizing effective response to shareholder activism
With more institutions adopting activist investment strategies and more activists launching campaigns targeting a wider set of issues and companies, boards and C-suite executives must consider the possibility that their company may come under attack by their owners.
Components of our Activism Advisory Program include:
- Activist’s background – a detailed history about the activist and their previous engagements.
- Activist’s playbook – an overview of activist’s past strategies, track record, tactics and tendencies. Focus is on areas the activist is likely to target, including balance sheet activism, corporate governance, turn-around, divestment, or sale of the business.
- Proxy Advisory Firms Analysis – based on the proposals put forth by the activist, we provide insight on how proxy advisors are likely to vote.
- Communication Strategy – formulate an effective response to activist’s arguments. including reviewing press releases, letters to shareholders, and SEC filings – including proxy statements.
- Defense Strategy – advise on various tools and winning tactics that can be used to counter an activist investor.